Publius Archive

'Now With Attenuated Live Thought Viruses'

WARNING:

INFORMATION FOR PHILOSOPHICAL USE ONLY!

Always use inflammatory information in a well

ventilated area and wear protective headgear

when conducting dangerous thought-experiments.

Information not good after curfew in

Sectors 'R' or 'M.'

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

The Times, They are A'Changing

That last post regarding the attack on Cindy Sheehan linked (not exactly on purpose, but for the sake of completeness) to a T-Shirt Site that revels in the current political sentiment. Here is an example of their products:



This really upsets me. I've been to Guantanamo Bay. In 1994 I was deployed to GTMO. It's the one place on that lush island that resembles a desert. Lots of cacti and the buzzards line up on power lines like a bunch of sparrows.

The Iguanas at Gitmo are awesome. The banana rats are like really big regular rats on lots of valium. They amble up and beg for popcorn when you're watching a movie at one of the outdoor theaters.

Locals told me that on the rest of the island, they have killed the banana rats all off for food. Guantanamo is the last place they thrive.

Booze was incredibly cheap, and believe me, That was a good thing. I mean, here was absolutely nothing to do around there but drink. on the other hand, it was cruel irony that you couldn't get a good cigar there.

There's a big plaque next to the water, over by the desalinization plant that basically reads:

"In 1493, on his second voyage, Christopher Columbus sailed into this bay looking for gold. He named it 'Grand Bay." Not finding anything at all, he left the next day."

OK, maybe that's not quite right, but it's close.

We were there to provide medical care to the Cuban Balseros, "Rafters" who had fled Castro to become Americans. They were temporarily sent back to GTMO. They are almost all Americans now. I met some amazing, smart and creative people who wanted what we have to offer.

Camp X-Ray? It seems Castro cleared out all his prisons and put them on rafts when all the others went. Camp X-Ray was for those hardened criminals. The main malady that Camp X-ray detainees had was called "Waffle-Butt." This occurred when they managed to fornicate across the chain-link fence that separated the inmates.

When I was there, I picked up a T-Shirt at the gift-shop (right next to the McDonald's). This is it:
















I'll take my T-Shirt any day. I'm proud of what I did there. We were the light of the world. Now GTMO is a symbol of abuse and torture.


--